4/02/2012

Nearing the End


It is nearing the end of my time here in Uganda as I have only 2 short weeks left before our group heads to Rwanda for our two week trip and debrief.  So much has happened in the last month, but it has gone by so quickly I haven’t even had time to stop and process what has happened.  At the beginning of the month, our group took a weekend trip to Lira.  We journeyed down on Friday and were treated to some American(ish) food.  Then on Saturday we learned about 3 different organizations working for the greater good of Lira.  First, we met a missionary couple named Bob and Carol.  They ran Otiniwa boarding school/orphanage for over 250 children, some of whom were previous victims forced to be child soldier’s in Kony’s army.  Bob and Carol are from Oregon and have been in Uganda for 13 years.  They run a successful child development program in which they raise their children to have certain life skills like managing money, living in community, cooking for themselves, and different trades.  The organization is completely funded by sponsors except for the revenue the small café they run brings in.  This limited the possibilities for expansion and left 500 to 1,000 kids on a waiting list to enter the school.  Overall, it was really encouraging to see all that Bob and Carol had done in just a few short years, but we fear for the future of the organization, because it is set up to fall apart after Bob and Carol leave, and the couple is in their 70s.  It was a really nice visit, though, and made us all really miss our grandparents back home J On the opposite end, later on in the day we met a young missionary couple who ran a completely self-sustaining café in which they make their own living and provide jobs for many Ugandans.  Their aim is to offer jobs and an attraction to the community.  This organization was also heavily reliant on the Americans though, and after visiting both organizations we were scared for the Ugandan workers, children, and communities when both couples decide to leave.  The third organization we visited was a home for abused women called Helen’s House, and this organization was led by a Ugandan.  It was neat to see her go against society and make a home for women, even though she was heavily persecuted for it.  Her work, while it may not have been as organized as the American organizations, is set up for the long haul and her organization could run even if she were not there.  Looking at all three organizations made me realize that Americans may have the resources to set up really successful organizations quickly, but unless they get acquainted with the communities they are in and train people from within the communities, they will do no long-term good. 



The weekend after our trip to Lira, I got to visit a Compassion International Child Development Center and got to visit my brothers at boarding school!  First, I woke up early to go with Katie and Kristian to the Compassion center for a few hours.  It was really fun to interact with the kids, learn more about Compassion from a very helpful lady named Monica, and sing with and learn with the kids in their classes.  I even got to teach the 6-8 year olds a Bible verse! Learning more about Compassion was really cool, because I discovered that it is not all about the money donated to the kids from their sponsors.  The money gives them a better education, but sponsorship more importantly gives them love and community.  The kids are required to go to a child development center every Saturday where they are trained in life skills, spirituality, and educational knowledge.  They are raised to become a new generation who can provide for themselves and give their own children a better future someday. 

               When I came home, I helped my Mama and sister clean and pack lunches to take to my brothers at boarding school. Then, we loaded up the car and went to see first my 10 year old brother, Mark, and then my 18 year old brother Joshua.  It was really great to see them and see the schools they attend. It was also a really fun day with Mama J



Other than those couple weekends, life has been full of visiting with friends and family and schoolwork here.  I’ve had some fun adventures to Kampala or places here in Mukono with friends, and I’ve truly had a blessed time at home with my Mama and sister.  It has become a girls’ house after my 4 siblings left for boarding school, and I love it! I have gotten really close to my Mama and 28 year old sister, Jennifer, and I have truly become part of the family.  Each night holds something special, even if it is just watching a soap opera with them and laughing at the crazy characters (I would just like to note that the soap operas we watch are Spanish soap operas, dubbed over in English, dubbed over in Luganda…CRAZY).  The other night we even had a girls’ night where we painted each other’s nails and ate Ugandan pancakes.  I am absolutely loving my time at home, and it has turned into the most refreshing part of my day.  This brings me up to yesterday (I am trying my best to sum up the last month in a brief post…) where I made chapatti (Ugandan flat bread) with my friend Amanda and my sister. Amanda and I made the lunch all by ourselves, with the supervision of Jennifer, and it turned out really well!  Then, we spent the afternoon weaving mats and talking.  I am turning into a true, Ugandan woman <3









 

1 comment:

  1. It is really good to hear and see how you are doing in Uganda! We look forward to read about your trip and can't wait to hear you talk at Rotary. Please know that we are praying for you and all your family over there. Your father told us it will be soon before your home and he really misses you. Take care Katie and may God richly bless you. Don Scott

    ReplyDelete